Skip to main content

I had a police investigator contact me about some stolen property.

Virginia Beach, VA |

i answered a call and was surprised it was an investigator on the other end. he said he was investigating stolen property. I asked if i was being investigated and he said not officially. he asked me a lot of questions mostly about the defendant...i did answer questions but now thinking about it im not sure that was the right thing to do. what usually happens from here and what does it mean if im not officially being investigated? im a little concerned that i am being investigated and id like to be prepared for what might happen next.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Never talk to police about a criminal charge. Under no circumstances does it work in your favor. You should immediately demand to speak with an attorney before responding to any questions. I know of no attorney that would allow their client to answer any questions from police even if the attorney is sitting right next to them. That only happens on TV.

At this point, any damage has been done, you need to make an appointment to discuss your facts. Afterwards you will have a better understanding of your legal situation. Most of us offer free consultations.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.



so what could happen now that ive already talked to them.

James Donald Garrett

James Donald Garrett


They could charge you based on your statement alone. When you talk to the police, they are then entitled to distort and interpret your statement to such a degree that it meets cause for an arrest. If you are further contacted, demand an attorney. If they show up with an arrest warrant, hire a lawyer as quick as possible.


A recent Supreme Court case, less than 2 weeks ago, gnawed away at the fifth amendment. Although it would take a while to explain the case and its ramifications, I will tell you that it makes it even more important to make it clear to them that you do not wish to speak any further without an attorney present.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.


Stop all communications and speak with a local attorney you trust and are comfortable with.

For More information about Attorney Pfeiffer see: The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.


Please follow the advice of my fellow attorneys. Please retain counsel before you talk to the police again. Police officers are taught the law and you need to have someone on your side protecting your interests.


Anything that you say to police can be used against you in a court of law. Even if you've done nothing wrong its best to speak to a lawyer so that you know and understand your rights.


As my fellow attorneys have stated, talking with the detective without the advice of counsel was not a good idea. I would consult with an attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer