I had a judgment to garnish my wages from a old credit card . I did not know about it . Am I able to challenge the judgment ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

When I was 17 the bank gave me a credit card for $ 6500 . I was late onetime and the APR went up to %30 or something . I called and asked if it was gonna stay like this and they said yes . I stopped paying . Later on in life I found out with 6 months on time payment it would go back down . Its been 13 years

1. Andrew Davis Oostdyk

4

Answered . An unsecured creditor should not be able to garnish wages in Texas. Contact a local competent attorney asap to stop this activity.

2. Patrick Begley

3

Answered . Definitely consult with a debt defense attorney. 1) You were a minor when you made the contract which will typically make the contract unenforceable. 2) If you haven't paid on the card in 13 years, it is outside the statute of limitations. 3) It would be highly irregular for a creditor to be able to garnish you for unsecured debt here in TX unless the debt came from out of state. You should be able to get rid of the garnishment. Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Michael J. Ireland

4

Answered . I agree with Attorney Gruber.

You definitely need to speak with a competent, local collection defense attorney to learn your rights and responsibilities concerning this debt. There might be defenses and there might be a basis to set aside the judgment, but that is not something that can be worked out here.

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

Answered . If the creditor has a judgment against you, they can garnish your wages. Before that happens I suggest you go to the courthouse and get copies of all the documents in the case file. Then take these papers to a local attorney. Good luck.