I had a judgment to garnish my wages from a old credit card . I did not know about it . Am I able to challenge the judgment ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

When I was 17 the bank gave me a credit card for $ 6500 . I was late onetime and the APR went up to %30 or something . I called and asked if it was gonna stay like this and they said yes . I stopped paying . Later on in life I found out with 6 months on time payment it would go back down . Its been 13 years

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Andrew Davis Oostdyk

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An unsecured creditor should not be able to garnish wages in Texas. Contact a local competent attorney asap to stop this activity.

  2. Patrick Begley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Definitely consult with a debt defense attorney. 1) You were a minor when you made the contract which will typically make the contract unenforceable. 2) If you haven't paid on the card in 13 years, it is outside the statute of limitations. 3) It would be highly irregular for a creditor to be able to garnish you for unsecured debt here in TX unless the debt came from out of state. You should be able to get rid of the garnishment. Hope this helps and best of luck!

    The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal... more
  3. Michael J. Ireland

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Gruber.

    You definitely need to speak with a competent, local collection defense attorney to learn your rights and responsibilities concerning this debt. There might be defenses and there might be a basis to set aside the judgment, but that is not something that can be worked out here.

    Good luck.

    If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general... more
  4. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the creditor has a judgment against you, they can garnish your wages. Before that happens I suggest you go to the courthouse and get copies of all the documents in the case file. Then take these papers to a local attorney. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,782 answers this week

2,506 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,782 answers this week

2,506 attorneys answering