I had a job interview with an aerospace company which I submitted my resume and I took a test and had an interview but couldn't

Asked about 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

get the job because I wasn't a us citizen or permanent resident but I had a employment authorization card and ssn n my drivers license my question is can they do that and what can I do to get that job???

1. Neil Pedersen

Answered . Generally, it is unlawful for an employer to discriminate against an applicant based on national origin or race. However, citizenship is not a protected class of people under the relevant anti-discrimination statutes. That said, there are rules under the Immigration Reform Control Act (IRCA) that prevents discrimination on the basis of citizenship where the applicant has proper documentation of a right to work. However, there are some fairly broad exceptions, especially where the employment would place the employee into sensitive positions related to national security or law enforcement, to name a couple.

You should locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to www.cela.org, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Good luck to you.