Skip to main content

I had a hammer shatter on me and i had to have my hand cut open once and then had to have surgey to remove metal from it now i

Macungie, PA |

dont have full feeling and strenght in my pointer finger from it what can i do

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Therapy?

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. Did it happen at work? If not i don't see a legal question, I see a medical question..

  3. You have not provided a legal question. If you were injured at work, someone gave you the hammer, you recently purchased the hammer or the product itself failed you may be able to file a claim. Contact an attorney should you have further questions. Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

    Contact me for further detailed questions and answers. 215-561-0877 DISCLAIMER: Matthew Solomon is licensed to practice law in both the State of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey.This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. This answer does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I see your legal question as "Do I have the right to sue someone?" The answer is that you may have a claim under product liablity law. The most important thing is for you to preserve the hammer parts. An attorney that regularly practices this area of the law would most likely offer a free consult and representation on a contingency fee basis. An attorney will need to evaluate your case to see if your potential recovery will justify the potential cost of an expert review of the matter. I encourage you to check into this.

    This answer contains general information only; and it is not intended as legal advice. It is not intended to and does not create an attorney client relationship. Information contained here is only a starting point and you should consider discussing your specific problem in depth with a licensed attorney.

  5. If this happened at work or on the job then you would have a Workman's compensation claim. If it was your hammer and you were working on your own personal time then you may have a products liability claim. The intended use of a hammer is to strike objects. It ought not to shatter. Therefore, a good lawyer might argue that it was defective or under the UCC - not fit for a particular purpose. Keep the hammer parts, along with the receipt (as the store in which you purchased it from may be a defendant because of the stream of commerce). You should seek a qualified lawyer who handles product liability claims. He or she will most likely have to hire an expert to examine the hammer. Good luck.

  6. A products liability claim. Who manufactured the hammer? Where did you buy it? Was it new? Do you have the receipt for it?

  7. Save the hammer. If it was cast improperly you could have a claim against the manufacturer and seller. Save all medical records. Hire an attorney immediately to pit all interested parties on notice and explorevthe workers compensation angle. Feel free to call with any questions 610-996-2511

    All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

  8. Your possible claims are based in workers comp (if at work), product liability (possibly in addition to workers comp and/or as a stand-alone claim if the incident did not happen at work) and possibly some other negligence claim if the incident was not at work. All these claims would have to be evaluated by an attorney with familiarity with these types of claims. Speak to an attorney as soon as possible and save any evidence you have of the incident and of the hammer itself.

    This answer is based on general legal principles only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Any reader of this answer should not make decisions based upon in without first directly consulting with an attorney in person.

  9. You may have a product liability claim if the hammer was defectively designed or defectively manufactured. These are very expensive cases to pursue and you may have difficulty finding a product liability attorney to take you case if they don't believe you injuries are sever enough to warrant the expense. If this happended at work you need to complete a report of injury with you supervisor and possibly speak with a work comp attorney in you area.

  10. If you were on the job when it happened, you have a Worker Comp claim,
    If the hammer shattered due to a defect you have a products liability claim.
    You may have both a Workers Comp claim and a Products Liability claim.
    Contact one of the PA personal injury/comp attorneys that have commented above and provide more details.

    Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160

  11. You should contact a personal injury lawyer to review the matter and investigate a products liability claim and/or worker's compensation claim on your behalf. Was this a work related incident? Do you still have the hammer?

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics