I had a dui in jan..i choose 6mo probation, 50hours community service, paying fines, therapy, the whole nine yards. BUT i

Asked about 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

BUT i have yet to do my community service hours due to work..i literally have to work my butt off in order to pay for everything..probation, therapy, dui school, living, etc...so i dont know what to do..the dui is my only offense.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. David S Katz


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a choice to make. You either make time to get the hours done or you violate probation. They other option is to ask the judge to either extend your probation to 12 months to give you more time to get the hours done, or to allow you to buy the hours out. Contact a local attorney for help. Good Luck.

    Although AVVO answers provide a starting point, nothing replaces the opinion of a qualified DUI defense attorney... more
  2. Jonathan Hackworth


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to complete the community service hours otherwise, your probation will likely be violated. I understand the predicament, but I know in Pinellas County, some community service organizations have options for working folks to do at home to work around their work schedule.

    Good luck finishing the hours.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney... more
  3. Thomas Klemens Almquist

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. The only thing I'd add is to work with your probation officer. Some of them are better than others, but s/he should be able to help you find a place to do your community service. Also, getting started on your community service and doing some of it is better than doing none of it.

  4. William David Umansky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I understand your predicament. However Mr, Katz is absolutely correct. YOur choice is clear. finish the hours or violate your probation or file a motion immediately in front of the judge to modify your probation and give you some more time to complete the hours. Good luck to you!

    Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI school

DUI school is intended to change the behavior of DUI offenders by educating them about the risks of intoxicated driving.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,456 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,456 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering