I had a dui in jan..i choose 6mo probation, 50hours community service, paying fines, therapy, the whole nine yards. BUT i

Hollywood, FL |

BUT i have yet to do my community service hours due to work..i literally have to work my butt off in order to pay for everything..probation, therapy, dui school, living, i dont know what to do..the dui is my only offense.

You need to complete the community service hours otherwise, your probation will likely be violated. I understand the predicament, but I know in Pinellas County, some community service organizations have options for working folks to do at home to work around their work schedule.

Good luck finishing the hours.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

is there any chance if i plead with my probation officer for a little more time to complete my hours she can grant it? i have paid everything else off. and now with everything paid off i have time to do my hours. but my time is i dont know whats gonna happen. what are my options now?

Jonathan Hackworth

Jonathan Hackworth

I mean is there a chance, sure, but judges really hate when people do not complete their community service. I strongly recommend you got to court with a plan laying out when, how and where you will complete your community service. I would also strongly recommend you contact the community service agency prior to court. This will allow you to give more detail to the judge about your plan. Good luck.

You have a choice to make. You either make time to get the hours done or you violate probation. They other option is to ask the judge to either extend your probation to 12 months to give you more time to get the hours done, or to allow you to buy the hours out. Contact a local attorney for help. Good Luck.

Although AVVO answers provide a starting point, nothing replaces the opinion of a qualified DUI defense attorney knowledgable about the Judges and prosecutors near you. You should consult a local lawyer for legal advice.

I understand your predicament. However Mr, Katz is absolutely correct. YOur choice is clear. finish the hours or violate your probation or file a motion immediately in front of the judge to modify your probation and give you some more time to complete the hours. Good luck to you!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

I agree with the other attorneys. The only thing I'd add is to work with your probation officer. Some of them are better than others, but s/he should be able to help you find a place to do your community service. Also, getting started on your community service and doing some of it is better than doing none of it.