I had a DUI in 1995 and got another one in 2009. How can I go about getting my DUI(s) expunged?

Warner Robins, GA |

I had legal representation for both cases, but more importantly, I'm pretty sure that the 2009 DUI was actually treated as a 1st offense. Being as such, is it possible to have my most recent DUI expunged? It was proceeded in the State Courts of Georgia.

1. I am sorry, but even the new Georgia law in expungement does not allow those convictions to be expunged. They will be in your record forever. You may wish to speak with a lawyer who handles pardons.

2. I agree with Mr. Proctor about not being able to expunge either case. As to your question about a pardon, you have to apply with the governor's office, and very few are granted.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL: hmgrmg@yahoo.com, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

3. Nope. DUI's don't get expunged.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

4. If you were convicted, or plead, to anything at all (the DUI, a reduced charge, the underlying offense) then you cannot expunge the arrest. Georgia has some of the harshest, if not the harshest, expungement laws in the country.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

5. In Virginia, I can tell you that a conviction would almost always result in no possibility for expungement. I have found a link for you to a site with Georgia Expungement information. I hope it helps. Good luck.

This is not legal advice: it is intended to be used for general informational or educational purposes only. For a free case evaluation, visit FairfaxCountyCriminalDefense.com.

DUI topics