I had a Class C misdemeanor about 30 years ago. Paid a fine. Judge said it would show like a traffic ticket on my record.

Asked about 1 year ago - Lubbock, TX

I had gone to a grand opening of a department store and had a lot of items in my hands and put a bottle of perfume in the corner of my purse so I wouldn't drop it and break it. When I went to check out I forgot about it. I got just outside the door and security guards attacked me like I was a criminal. I had the money and tried to tell them I had forgotten I had it in there and would they let me pay for it. They refused to even discuss the situation and treated me horribly. I was arrested. When I saw the judge in his office he only fined me the minimum amount when I explained the situation. He told me not to fight it or worry about it that it would show up on my record like a speeding ticket. I have applied for a new job and am worried it will show up. Will it?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like you have a Class C misdemeanor conviction for theft on your record. A traffic ticket is a Class C misdemeanor, but this is for theft, so it's not exactly the same (i.e. if a job/college application asks "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a traffic citation, you'd have to put YES).

    BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not... more
  2. Wayne Allen Fowler

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes it will show up and it will show up as a class C misdemeanor--which is the same category of offense. But as pointed out by Mr. Hamer, if a question asks if you have been arrested, charged, or convicted of anything other than a traffic offense, you will have to tell them, "yes."

  3. Marjorie Ann Muniz

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This case can show up in a thorough background check, even if it is a Class C misdemeanor. I agree with the other lawyers that you need to read the applications for jobs very carefully, and answer truthfully if they ask if you have been arrested or convicted of a criminal offense. And unfortuntely you have a conviciton since you chose to pay the fine and did not complete a deferred disposition.

  4. Kathryn Mary Holton

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . In the future never never ever, take legal advice regarding your case from anyone (Judge, Friend, Parent, Child, Relative,Fellow cell mate, law student, prosecutor, neighbors parrot etc) WHO DOES NOT have an attorney-client relationship with you. WHY? well they may be well meaning BUT DO NOT have YOUR best interest at hand.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,199 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,199 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering