Skip to main content

I had a case of misdemeanor , not arrested but cited,charged,plead not guilty and case dismissed in best interests of justice,

Anaheim, CA |

no probation class or fines involved, currently i am going to renew my (med) state license which asks for only convicted cases,do i need to disclose this incident.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    In State licensing matters, always parse the exact words of the instructions and answer precisely as asked. The State has access to the criminal history record and does not rely on the licensee or applicant for its info. The application or renewal form is just an applicant/licensee integrity test. The State will ask for any info that it wants. Provide specific info in response to specific instructions.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. Read the question in your application carefully. If it asks you to disclose "convictions" then you can honestly answer the question no since you said that the case was dismissed. If the question asks whether you were charged, cited, arrested, etc, which is much broader, then you should disclose the case on your application. That it was dismissed should not impact renewal of your current license.

    Attorney is Licensed in Arizona, California, and Colorado only. The opinions and comments offered are in the nature of general business advice relating to generic questions that might be raised. The use of this site is not intended to form an attorney client relationship of any kind. The reader is advised that every situation is different and you should always consult in person with a licensed attorney for the particular jurisdiction in question when your legal rights may be effected.