I had a car accident with the other person at fault.

Odenville, AL |

They ran a stop sign and messed my neck up real bad. I had to go immediately to the hospital from the scene and had open neck surgery, 2 lvls with plates and screws. My neck is not doing well after surgery and can't do alot of the stuff I used to do. I'm very depressed and scared. I'm 35 yrs old and have my whole life ahead of me and that life is now looking grim for me and my husband. I think they have only 25k policy and I was told that 25k will be all I get for the rest of my life with me in agony. Is that true about only getting 25k or is there something some1 is not telling me? I would Please like to know since i'm hurting and probably hurting or misshaped for the rest of my life with only 25k with lawyer taking 33%. Please help. I would be in your debt:) Ty v much!

I don't have uninsured motorist coverage. But what about work and providing for my family? 15 or 16k is nothing compared to living like this. When the people hit me the passenger came out screaming please don't call the police! I said i have too its the law. The driver was unharmed but never got out of the vehicle. THe police report say's " Failure to yield at stop sign" for the other driver. How can you "Yield" at a stop sign? I thought you had to come to a complete stop. Something isn't right i think. I lost my car due to this and my enjoyment of life. Something has to compensate for that. I hope not 15k.:( It was a friday around 3:00p.m the police came to the driver in the car talked for a minute and let him leave. Is that right? If not please tell me what to do! thanx

Perhaps you should consult with another local lawyer.
Use the AVVO Find a Lawyer Tab.

ty very much :)

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

You are welcome.

Tragic situation. While not every day, to those of us in the business. Unfortunately not uncommon. I'm sure your lawyer is explore all options. For example, municipal liability and your auto policy. Not a fair system. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

ty very much :)

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Ur welcome

Typically you are limited to the amount of coverage for the person who hit you. Did you carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage? This would give you another level of coverage for situations like this. Another option would be to sue the person who hit you personally but this is typically not worth your time.

ty very much :)

This is why it's important for people to carry a high level of uninsured /underinsured coverage, in case they get seriously injured by some clown with low coverage. Part of your attorney's job is to investigate all potential sources of recovery, so if s/he is telling you $25k is all that's available, that's not a good sign. Sit down with your lawyer and get a full explanation. If that's all there is, it's unfortunate, but you may have no alternative

Ty for ur time. It's good to c people care:)

It really depends if the other driver was working at the time or may have been drunk. If not, the issue becomes do you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It also matters if anyone else in your household had a car with underinsured motorist. Feel free to call me at any time. 256-534-3435 or 1-800-752-1998

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

ty very much :)

If you have not settled already you could proceed with litigation and depending on the facts and timing you could potentially attempt to recover the assets of the person who caused the accident. My guess is that you lawyer already explored collection against anyone beyond the insurance and was not encouraged, the low limits is an indicator the party may not have funds to pay a judgment.

Under-insured motorist coverage is sold for this very situation.

As your lawyer to see if there are any other avenues for collection. You may be eligible for Social Security Disability.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

ty very much :)

Unfortunately, we see this all the time. If the other party only had a 25k policy, you can either settle for that policy, or you can try the case and obtain a judgment against the other party, which you can then enforce against the other party's assets and salary. That judgment can be wiped out though in Bankruptcy unless the other party was intoxicated at the time time of the accident.
If your attorney does not want to go to trial to get a possibly collectible judgment, you may have to switch attorneys.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

ty very much :)

Was the person who hit you on the job? The company could be sued if this is the case. Does the person have assets? If so, don't settle the case and don't sign the release, take it to court. Also, whenever anyone retains a personal injury lawyer, they should get one with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted from you, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com