I had a car accident with the other person at fault.

Asked about 2 years ago - Odenville, AL

They ran a stop sign and messed my neck up real bad. I had to go immediately to the hospital from the scene and had open neck surgery, 2 lvls with plates and screws. My neck is not doing well after surgery and can't do alot of the stuff I used to do. I'm very depressed and scared. I'm 35 yrs old and have my whole life ahead of me and that life is now looking grim for me and my husband. I think they have only 25k policy and I was told that 25k will be all I get for the rest of my life with me in agony. Is that true about only getting 25k or is there something some1 is not telling me? I would Please like to know since i'm hurting and probably hurting or misshaped for the rest of my life with only 25k with lawyer taking 33%. Please help. I would be in your debt:) Ty v much!

Additional information

I don't have uninsured motorist coverage. But what about work and providing for my family? 15 or 16k is nothing compared to living like this. When the people hit me the passenger came out screaming please don't call the police! I said i have too its the law. The driver was unharmed but never got out of the vehicle. THe police report say's " Failure to yield at stop sign" for the other driver. How can you "Yield" at a stop sign? I thought you had to come to a complete stop. Something isn't right i think. I lost my car due to this and my enjoyment of life. Something has to compensate for that. I hope not 15k.:( It was a friday around 3:00p.m the police came to the driver in the car talked for a minute and let him leave. Is that right? If not please tell me what to do! thanx

Attorney answers (8)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Perhaps you should consult with another local lawyer.
    Use the AVVO Find a Lawyer Tab.

  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It really depends if the other driver was working at the time or may have been drunk. If not, the issue becomes do you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It also matters if anyone else in your household had a car with underinsured motorist. Feel free to call me at any time. 256-534-3435 or 1-800-752-1998

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Typically you are limited to the amount of coverage for the person who hit you. Did you carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage? This would give you another level of coverage for situations like this. Another option would be to sue the person who hit you personally but this is typically not worth your time.

  4. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tragic situation. While not every day, to those of us in the business. Unfortunately not uncommon. I'm sure your lawyer is explore all options. For example, municipal liability and your auto policy. Not a fair system. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  5. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is why it's important for people to carry a high level of uninsured /underinsured coverage, in case they get seriously injured by some clown with low coverage. Part of your attorney's job is to investigate all potential sources of recovery, so if s/he is telling you $25k is all that's available, that's not a good sign. Sit down with your lawyer and get a full explanation. If that's all there is, it's unfortunate, but you may have no alternative

  6. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have not settled already you could proceed with litigation and depending on the facts and timing you could potentially attempt to recover the assets of the person who caused the accident. My guess is that you lawyer already explored collection against anyone beyond the insurance and was not encouraged, the low limits is an indicator the party may not have funds to pay a judgment.

    Under-insured motorist coverage is sold for this very situation.

    As your lawyer to see if there are any other avenues for collection. You may be eligible for Social Security Disability.

    Good luck.

    AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I... more
  7. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, we see this all the time. If the other party only had a 25k policy, you can either settle for that policy, or you can try the case and obtain a judgment against the other party, which you can then enforce against the other party's assets and salary. That judgment can be wiped out though in Bankruptcy unless the other party was intoxicated at the time time of the accident.
    If your attorney does not want to go to trial to get a possibly collectible judgment, you may have to switch attorneys.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore,... more
  8. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Was the person who hit you on the job? The company could be sued if this is the case. Does the person have assets? If so, don't settle the case and don't sign the release, take it to court. Also, whenever anyone retains a personal injury lawyer, they should get one with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted from you, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Related Topics

Damages for personal injuries

Damages in personal injury cases generally compensate victims for their losses, but some damages are also meant to punish the injurer.

William J. Driscoll

Wrongful Death 101 (Kentucky)

Statute of Limitations: Wrongful death cases must be filed within 2 years of the date of death, but no later than one year from the appointment of the executor or administrator in probate... more

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering