I had a car accident someone hit at the back how much can i ask the insurance company to pay me

Asked over 4 years ago - Germantown, MD

I had a car accident someone hit at the back how much can i ask the insurance company to pay me if my medical bill was 2,600 and the repairs in my car were 2,000 .

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph A Blaszkow

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In my opinion you have unrealistic expectations if you think you have provided enough information for any competent attorney to evaluate your case. Furthermore, I think it is almost never appropriate for a lay person to represent themselves in an injury claim. The insurance company will only be too happy to take advantage of you, and quite possibly already has. I will venture to point out that, with $2600 in medical bills, your claim is modest. But in today's world, virtually all the casualty insurers are using various software to evaluate these claims, and it is unlikely you are going to provide the adjuster with the proper information to evaluate your claim, and thus will end up with an inadequate verdict. You need to properly document the case in order to provide the proper "drivers" that the software needs to come up with an evaluation. Most experienced personal injury lawyers will handle your case on a contingent fee basis.

    Here is what I would want to see, at a minimum, in order to competently evaluate your case: itemized medical bills from all providers with appropriate diagnostic and procedure codes; complete medical records from all providers (not the one or two page discharge summary that is handed to you as you leave the emergency room); an itemized summary of time/money lost from work signed by your employer; photographs of the property damage; the police accident report. Additionally, how did the accident happen, are there witnesses, were traffic citations issued, and how were they disposed of. Are there any factors that would enhance or detract from your recovery. Are you done treating. Is the injury permanent, and is the permanency documented in the medical records.

    I think you make a serious mistake to represent yourself, but if you make that choice, I wish you luck in any event.

    The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Personal injury attorneys nearly always give a free initial consultation.

    The insurance industry’s own statistics indicate that once an attorney becomes involved, the value of any claim at least doubles.

    Put those two facts together and it is in your best interest to retain experienced legal counsel at your earliest possible convenience.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,308 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,308 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering