I had a car accident 14 years ago in Wisconsin, no injuries at that time but one passenger later went to chiropractor. Because I

Green Bay, WI |

was uninsured their insurance co. obtained a judgement against me. Judgement was turned over to their attorney, I contacted him at that time and asked for payment arrangement and was told it had to be paid in full $9,000 I have not heard from him in 13 yrs. but my drivers licence is still revolked. What is the statute of limitations in Wis. and do I have to file bankruptcy to regain drivers licence?

A Judgment in Wisconsin can stay with you for decades. You should know that post judgment interest is 12%. So, the judgment is probably much more than $9,000.00. You will need to either make arrangements with the attorney, file for bankruptcy or if the attorney will not talk with you simply go to the court and ask for hearing on what amount is now due. Once the amount is determined and either paid or discharged then you will need to go to the DMV to get your license back. Good luck. It could get complex you may want to hire a general practice attorney to help you out.

Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege. The comments and opinions expressed in Jon Groth's comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Reading or using the information in this blog does not create the existence of an attorney-client privilege. Due to the changing nature of the law, the blog posts may contain dated material. For an update on the current law and the application of the law to your particular facts and circumstances, consult a legal advisor. The information contained herein is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state.

2. The bankruptcy would get rid of the debt. Once you have the discharge, send that to the DMV and ask for your license to be reinstated. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.