I had a car accident 14 years ago in Wisconsin, no injuries at that time but one passenger later went to chiropractor. Because I

Asked almost 2 years ago - Green Bay, WI

was uninsured their insurance co. obtained a judgement against me. Judgement was turned over to their attorney, I contacted him at that time and asked for payment arrangement and was told it had to be paid in full $9,000 I have not heard from him in 13 yrs. but my drivers licence is still revolked. What is the statute of limitations in Wis. and do I have to file bankruptcy to regain drivers licence?

1. Jonathan P. Groth

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . A Judgment in Wisconsin can stay with you for decades. You should know that post judgment interest is 12%. So, the judgment is probably much more than $9,000.00. You will need to either make arrangements with the attorney, file for bankruptcy or if the attorney will not talk with you simply go to the court and ask for hearing on what amount is now due. Once the amount is determined and either paid or discharged then you will need to go to the DMV to get your license back. Good luck. It could get complex you may want to hire a general practice attorney to help you out.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Answered . The bankruptcy would get rid of the debt. Once you have the discharge, send that to the DMV and ask for your license to be reinstated. Best of luck.