I had a car accident 14 years ago in Wisconsin, no injuries at that time but one passenger later went to chiropractor. Because I

Asked almost 2 years ago - Green Bay, WI

was uninsured their insurance co. obtained a judgement against me. Judgement was turned over to their attorney, I contacted him at that time and asked for payment arrangement and was told it had to be paid in full $9,000 I have not heard from him in 13 yrs. but my drivers licence is still revolked. What is the statute of limitations in Wis. and do I have to file bankruptcy to regain drivers licence?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jonathan P. Groth


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . A Judgment in Wisconsin can stay with you for decades. You should know that post judgment interest is 12%. So, the judgment is probably much more than $9,000.00. You will need to either make arrangements with the attorney, file for bankruptcy or if the attorney will not talk with you simply go to the court and ask for hearing on what amount is now due. Once the amount is determined and either paid or discharged then you will need to go to the DMV to get your license back. Good luck. It could get complex you may want to hire a general practice attorney to help you out.

    Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege.... more
  2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The bankruptcy would get rid of the debt. Once you have the discharge, send that to the DMV and ask for your license to be reinstated. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,270 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,270 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering