I had a car accident a passenger with me is ilegal in this country he is trying to sue me.. would i be in trouble?

Asked about 1 year ago - Wallington, NJ

it was a hit n run

1. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

7

Answered . You are supposed to report accidents. The fact that your passenger has undocumented status is irrelevant.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . He wouldn't; but you could be, if you're the runner...

3. Charles William Franklin

Pro

6

Answered . You should immediately consult with a local attorney and put your insurance company on notice. You should be careful about being too forthcoming in terms of your knowledge of your passenger's status, if indeed you knew he was here illegally. Your insurance company will most likely resolve the matter, and you have a duty to cooperate with them, but again, you should immediately consult with an attorney in your area.

4. Adam L Rothenberg

Pro

4

Answered . The fact that your passenger is an illegal alien does not create any issues for you or make you "in trouble". NJ Courts have held that the fact that someone is illegal does not affect their right to be compensated for their injuries.
    However, you must be truthful with your insurance company and the police. Any statements which are dishonest or misleading subject you to potential problems.

If someone makes a claim against you, make sure to cooperate with your insurance compnay and advise them of the claim. That is why you have insurance, to handle such claims.

5. Kevin Coluccio

5

Answered . Turn the matter over to your insurance carrier.

Pro

3

Answered . Simply turn it over to your insurance company, and they will resolve it.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
One or more answers have been taken down.