I had a Bankruptcy discharged over two years ago and at that time I gave my home back in the chapter 7 when the payments were cu

Asked about 1 year ago - Mooresville, NC

rrent. I never got anything from the mortgage company saying that they were foreclosing because it was included in the bankruptcy. I recently found out that the attorney for the mortgage company did not record the deed at the court house until 18 months after the discharge which of course I knew nothing about until now. My question is do I have any means of legal action against this kind of foot dragging on recording a deed 18 months after the fact. I am trying to get a home loan and have waited the required two years after a BK for a VA loan only to be told now because the attorney for the mortgage company took so long to record it at the court house I have to wait another 18 months on top of the two years. It doesn't seem fair nor legal. Any help would be appreciated

1. Derek R. Caldwell

Pro

3

Answered . Fair? No. Legal? Yes. I am not aware of any legal remedy available to you. There is no law requiring mortgage companies to promptly foreclose and the problem you describe is fairly common.

2. Cort Ian Walker

2

Answered . I don't know of a legal cause of action that can be brought in your situation. However, I wonder what the date on the deed itself is. If the deed is dated approximately 18 months ago, perhaps the underwriters for your new loan will understand the facts better and still approve you. The deed should have a date on it when it was signed and that date is sometimes different than the recording date.

3. James Portman Webster

Pro

1

Answered . The real problem is that the attorney does not have a duty to you to record the deed. The attorney has a duty to his client and his client could sue for any damages due to his slow recording.

As for your situation, I don't know of a remedy unless you had an agreement and this was a breach of the agreement. (To be clear, I have never seen such an agreement that would allow you to sue under this kind of theory - but it could exist).