I had $ from the gov being put into an account I couldn't touch til I was 21yrs old but my guardian spent it b4 21 what can i do

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

The account had reached about $18,000 and would have had more had it been allowed to continue to collect interest. My guardian, my mother, withdrew all the money at my stepfather's insistence and spent it on other things not having to do with me. My stepfather now claims that he was owed that money since he spent money to help raise me however there was no contract saying that in exchange for raising me that he would get the social security money that the gov gave me when my dad died. Can I sue for the money?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Absolutely. Unless your mother was also appointed as conservator of the funds, she had a duty to keep the funds intact, unless she had court approval. Good luck.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While this may be a sticky situation, given that it involves your mother and stepfather, you could see a someone who handles probate related litigation. I have added in this area. You should have the terms of the trust reviewed and your options explained to you.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Absolutely. My colleague, Bryan Eastin, and I worked on a case similar to yours 8-9 years ago. We obtained a judgment against the sister. Bryan can be reached at (602) 277-4441 or beastin@plattwestby.com.

    The information contained in my answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as... more
  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Absolutely.

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,955 answers this week

3,723 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,955 answers this week

3,723 attorneys answering