I had $ from the gov being put into an account I couldn't touch til I was 21yrs old but my guardian spent it b4 21 what can i do

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

The account had reached about $18,000 and would have had more had it been allowed to continue to collect interest. My guardian, my mother, withdrew all the money at my stepfather's insistence and spent it on other things not having to do with me. My stepfather now claims that he was owed that money since he spent money to help raise me however there was no contract saying that in exchange for raising me that he would get the social security money that the gov gave me when my dad died. Can I sue for the money?

1. 10

Answered . Absolutely. Unless your mother was also appointed as conservator of the funds, she had a duty to keep the funds intact, unless she had court approval. Good luck.

2. 5

Answered . While this may be a sticky situation, given that it involves your mother and stepfather, you could see a someone who handles probate related litigation. I have added in this area. You should have the terms of the trust reviewed and your options explained to you.

3. 3

Answered . Absolutely. My colleague, Bryan Eastin, and I worked on a case similar to yours 8-9 years ago. We obtained a judgment against the sister. Bryan can be reached at (602) 277-4441 or beastin@plattwestby.com.

4. 4

Answered . Absolutely.