I grabbed $20 worth of alcohol at at shell gas station and left the store, they viewed the tape and confirmed it was me.

Centreville, MI |
Filed under: Criminal charges

do you know what my charge will be?

Probably theft or larceny, perhaps shoplifting.

Talk to a local criminal defense lawyer, now.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

how could it be larceny?

do you know they consequences for it?

i thought it would be retail fraud 3rd degree, since it was less than $200?

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

It could be larceny. Larceny means stealing without violence (not robbery).

You would be charged with retail fraud. If it's a first offense you would be charged with third degree which is a 93 day misdemeanor. You should get an attorney. Dickman NOT plead guilty at your arraignment. Get a lawyer which can negotiate a favorable resolution for you.

if i plead guilty, are the chances of me getting jail time greater?

Ronald S. Pichlik

Ronald S. Pichlik

No. But you've got a better chance of getting a more favorable outcome by at least going to a pretrial with the prosecutor. If you plead guilty at arraignment you have no deal of any kind.

i heard if i take it to trial, it might make the judge mad, beacasue it is "such" a petty crime?

Ronald S. Pichlik

Ronald S. Pichlik

I'm not advising you to go to trial. Go to the pretrial. You certainly won't end up any worse than simply pleading guilty at arraignment with no deal. The judge at arraignment cannot give you a plea bargain.

im not even sure what a pretrial is.

Ronald S. Pichlik

Ronald S. Pichlik

Plead not guilty at your arraignment. Request a jury trial and a court appointed attorney. The court will schedule the matter for a pretrial conference with the prosecutor. If the court gives you an attorney your attorney will attend the pretrial. If not, you will have to attend. The prosecutor will discuss a possible plea bargain with you. WHATEVER, they offer you is going to end up being better than simply pleading guilty at the arraignment. I really can't explain it any simpler than that.

what do u think i will get if i plead guilty?