I got ticket in Garwood, NJ my license was at my bfs house. I was on my way to pick it up should I fight it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Garwood, NJ

On my way to pick up license

1. Michael Joseph Cuellar

7

Answered . Yes. If you have a valid NJ license you engage the assistance of a municipal lawyer or try to discuss a plea agreement or dismissal with the prosecutor.

Regards,

Michael J. Cuellar, Esq.
    (973) 207-7213

Please read disclaimer below, as this answer does not create a attorney-client privilege and you are free to retain any lawyer you feel is competent for a problem you may be currently involved.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues' answers.

3. Dean P Murray

5

Answered . There are certain types of questions that can be simply answered on Avvo, while there are others that require considerably more analysis. For this particular question, you need to provide additional details concerning the specifics of your situation.

If you have additional questions, you can always contact a lawyer directly, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

4. Steven Todd Keppler

5

Answered . I would suggest you contact an attorney to assist you in this matter. If you merely left your license at home accidentally, then an attorney may be successful in obtaining a plea deal with the prosecutor for a lesser violation, potentially saving you points on your license and from a license suspension. Fines may or may not be reducible, as well.

Feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.

5. Travis J Tormey

4

Answered . It depends on the charge. If they charged you for driving without a license, then you should definitely fight it since you have a valid NJ license. If, on the other hand, they charged you with failure to exhibit documents then you don't need a lawyer to fight that. If you want to try and fight it, go to court with your license and hopefully the prosecutor will waive the fine for you. That will save you about $150 in fines and you will only pay $33 in court costs.

6. James Alexander Abate

Pro

3

Answered . If you were charged with driving without a license an appearance will be required. If you were charged with failure to display documents then Bob Donovan is not likely to drop that charge.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  7. Mark M Cheser

Pro

2

Answered . If you are charged with no license go to court and Bob will reduce the charge to failure to provide documents. If you have the lesser ticket already, pay it and save the time and court costs.

One or more answers have been taken down.