I got the shock of my life reporting to state probation in butler pa today. Think I need a lawyer now.

Asked over 1 year ago - Butler, PA

In brief . 1999 I plead guilty to stat sexual assault with NO means law . NON civ etc . 2007 I was rearrested for fraud . Now i am back on the streets . I am now told I am not aloud to have INTERNET access . I am not aloud to have a smart phone . I have been ordered to take sex offender counseling . $ 175 . 00 per hour for sex offender counseling for a incident in 1998 ? I was found NON sip . Non means law . I was aloud INTERNET on parole . Now eem told things change get over it . I own a decent sized website . Now no INTERNET or smart phone while i am on probation for forgery . In confused . Help . Whats with the new rules . I have been free for sixteen months with NO violations of probation . Now this . Its unfair . Should I take this to the courthouse . They have rendered me useless and sop counseling ?

1. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

4

Answered . You are correct, you need counsel ASAP. with the new SORNA requirments Probation and Parole are applying the new law to prior convictions. Many feel this is unconstitutional and there will undoubtedly be challanges made to both the law and the retro active applicability. The real issue you face is that if you do not comply with the terms of your parole officer they could violate you and you could easily wind up back in prison. You should first consult with your prior criminal defense attorney regarding this matter. You may also want to go to your county public defender's office as it would appear that the public defenders of the various counties are taking the lead on this issue. If you run into dead ends out in Butler county, you should contact the Philadelphia Defender's Association who from what I hear are going to mount a challange to the law. While they may not be able to directly assist you with this matter because you are in another county they should be able to direct you to the appropriate organization in your area who can assist you.

2. Robert C. Keller

2

Answered . Mr. Sucker has it right and you should follow his advise. Good luck.

3. Theodore H. Swan Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Zucker is spot on. The new SORNA laws are draconian to say the least and many lawyers are not aware of the extent of their reach. Good luck.