Skip to main content

I got rear ended while at a red light and my neck and back were injured. I went to the ER from the scene. What's next?

Tallahassee, FL |

The insurance company is responding but I need medical attention. Should I contact a lawyer to be safe, I'm not at fault. Just in a lot of pain.

Attorney Answers 20

  1. Yes. Hire a ware and do not talk to any insurance companies until you do.

  2. Yes, definitely call a lawyer asap. He/she will direct you further on what to do. Do not speak with anyone else especially insurance companies.

    Best of luck.

    My opinion and position stated above is not determinative of your rights, and you are free to seek other legal opinions. Should you decide to retain a lawyer, you should do so immediately as a statute of limitations may preclude you from bringing the claim in the future. If you are unclear about my opinion or you want to discuss this matter further, please feel free to call me at 305-536-3400.

  3. You should hire an attorney. You have a clear liability case, and need the guidance of an attorney.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

  4. You should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer because the consultation is free and the attorney will explain your rights and how your medical bills will be paid. It will also be important for you to receive good quality care from a provider who treats car accident victims on a regular basis. You also need to notify your auto insurance company and report the incident.

    Finally, do not speak with the insurance company for the other vehicle until you have consulted with a lawyer of your choosing.

    We would be pleased to help you and answer any questions that you may have.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

  5. It is a good bet that the insurance company for the person that hit you is not working hard trying to pay you MORE money. They are likely working hard to pay you LESS money. Keeping that in mind, it is wise to have a lawyer in your corner working hard for your interest - not the insurance company. Most lawyers for these types of cases work on a contingent fee basis - meaning they get paid by a percentage of your recovery and you never have to pay the lawyer out of your pocket.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER - Any information provided is not legal advice. There is no attorney client relationship created in this group discussion. Do not rely on informal comminucation in this forum as legal advice. If you wish to obtain legal advice you should hire an attorney in your State.

  6. Go to the doctor immediately. Retain an attorney who is experienced in personal injury.

    Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm

  7. First, go to a doctor. Your own PIP coverage will help with that. Then hire a lawyer.

    No attorney-client relationship is intended by this answer.

  8. Yes. Call one of the above lawyers for representation.

  9. Look at yelp or get a recommendation for a good, experienced attorney. Hire them at follow his/her advice.

  10. 1. Don't talk to the insurance company. 2. DON'T talk to any insurance company. Retain a lawyer as soon as possible. Insurance companies (even yours) are big time businesses, they are looking to deny coverage at any expense. If you are under the new Florida PIP laws, going to a medical doctor within 14 days allows you to get either $2,500.00 or $10,000.00 in PIP coverage, depending on whether a Emergency Medical Condition is determined. After retaining a lawyer, you should seek medical attention in order to fully diagnose your injuries. It is very important to retain counsel and begin the process of getting proper treatment, these small things at the beginning of the case help maintain the value of your case.

    This answer does not establish an attorney-client privileged. This answer is purely informative.

  11. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  12. Yes, you should contact an attorney. You have already gotten responses from a number of excellent personal injury attorneys in the Tallahassee area, but if you wish I will offer you a free consultation. Feel free to call me at 850-778-1355.

    My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.

  13. Contact and consult with a personal injury attorney.

  14. I agree with the other attorneys. Get the medical attention that you need and immediately contact a lawyer.

  15. Go get the medical attentions first via the hospital or rehabilitation facility. Make sure your PIP insurance is used to pay all medical bills. Then consult with a personal injury attorney that specializes in this field not a lawyer that dables in car accidents. You also need a lawyer that doesn't just settle the case after the first or second offer but can litigate and try the case if necessary. So ask the attorney about there practice and experience before you hire them. Good luck.

    Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit

  16. Get medical attention, take photos of the damage and do not speak to the insurance company. Seek legal advice from somebody that is reputable.

  17. You should definitely hire an attorney who is familiar with personal injury in Florida. You should also follow up with your doctor. You do not need to wait to go to the doctor until after you hire an attorney. Get started on your treatment and you will hopefully start to see some improvement in your condition. The attorney will be able to inform you about the Personal Injury Protection coverage on your policy to pay for your medical treatment, and you will have a claim against the responsible party as well. Good luck!

  18. While my fellow practitioners have urged you to obtain an attorney, let me state that even though I practice personal injury law, it is not always necessary to hire an attorney. Many people handle their claims pro se (without an attorney) and do fine. That choice is yours and should be made based upon your comfort level in dealing with the insurance company and the severity of your injuries.

    For soft tissue injuries, I've found that most people can handle their claims with an insurance company adjuster quite easily. You should, though:

    1. Get medical treatment ASAP if you are sore for more than a few days. The current PIP statute is quite harsh if you fail to treat within 14 days.
    2. Keep excellent records of your mileage, treatment, and medications. I recommend my clients use a calender and keep a daily journal of their physical/mental state.
    3. Never lie to an insurance company or embellish the facts. It is cause to deny your claim in whole.
    4. Be aware that claims adjusters are trained to negotiate and settle claims for as little as possible. The first offer is usually at the low-end of their range (unless it is what's called a "policy limits case" in which the adjuster feels he must tender the policy limits due to the severity of your injury).
    5. You can always hire an attorney if you feel uncomfortable negotiating with the insurance company.
    6. If you experience numbness or tingling in any extremity, as well as any condition that gives you cause for concern, see a medical doctor right away; handle your medical needs first, and then hire an attorney.

    Yes, you can handle insurance claims yourself, but you need to exercise caution in doing so and realize you may need an attorney if the matter becomes too complicated to handle pro se.

  19. Yes, hire a personal injury attorney.
    Go see the doctor.

    Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160

  20. if you are still experiencing problems with your neck or back you should hire an experienced personal injury attorney who is board certified. i would strongly suggest that any doctor you see order MRI's of your neck and back if they are still causing you significant problems in order to determine if you have an Emergency Medical Condition which would allow you to use all $10,000 of your PIP coverage

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics