I got pulled over without insurance how much trouble am I in?

Overland Park, KS |

I got pulled over in overland park without insurance how much trouble am I in? How much money and can i go to jail?

1. There are two common scenarios that play out when people call me with tickets for driving without insurance. One is an easy fix and one is not an easy fix.

1. You got pulled over and you HAVE insurance but you didn't have the insurance card or you didn't have the current card.

This is an easy fix and you don't need an attorney to take care of it for you. Take the insurance card that you should of had with you, (the card showing that you had valid coverage on the date you were pulled over) and fax it or drop it off at the court that issued you the ticket. Most of the time the court clerk will have authorization to dismiss the ticket from the prosecutor. If not then take it with you and go to court and they will nearly always dismiss the ticket for driving without insurance. But remember, the insurance actually had to be valid. It can not just be the card that the insurance company sent you in the mail before you paid your premium. The premium actually had to have been paid! The State will confirm that you actually had valid insurance on the date you got pulled over. If you didn't pay your premium then the coverage will not check out and the state will suspend your license!

2. The second scenario is not an easy fix. You got pulled over and you DID NOT HAVE insurance.

If you drive in the state of Kansas without insurance you are taking big risks. You are risking your financial assets if you get in an accident and you are risking your privilege to drive also. Driving without insurance is a very quick way to get your driver's license suspended and have to pay a hefty fine. Here are the state mandated punishments for Driving without insurance. (Notice the Highlighted Sections)

(g) (1) Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $300 nor more than $1,000 or confinement in the county jail for a term of not more than six months, or both such fine and confinement.
    (2) Any person convicted of violating any provision of this section within three years of any such prior conviction shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than $800 nor more than $2,500.
    (h) In addition to any other penalties provided by this act for failure to have or maintain financial security in effect, the director, upon receipt of a report required by K.S.A. 8-1607 or 8-1611, and amendments thereto, or a denial of such insurance by the insurance company listed on the form prescribed by the secretary of revenue pursuant to subsection (d) of this section, shall, upon notice and hearing as provided by K.S.A. 40-3118, and amendments thereto:
    (1) Suspend:
    (A) The license of each driver in any manner involved in the accident;
    (B) the license of the owner of each motor vehicle involved in such accident, unless the vehicle was stolen at the time of the accident, proof of which must be established by the owner of the motor vehicle. Theft by a member of the vehicle owner's immediate family under the age of 18 years shall not constitute a stolen vehicle for the purposes of this section;
    (C) if the driver is a nonresident, the privilege of operating a motor vehicle within this state; or
    .....
    There is quite a bit more to the law and this answer. If you would like to watch the video on my website visit

http://blog.kcticketguy.com/2011/11/driving-without-insurance-what-do-i-do.html

Law Office of Brandan Davies LLC. www.kcticketguy.com This is not legal advice. No Attorney/Client relationship has been formed. I may or may not be licensed in your jurisdiction. Please consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for state specific advice.

Traffic tickets topics