I got pulled over for speeding in a school zone and had to pay $150 bond, why?

Chicago, IL |

I got a speeding ticket for speeding in a school zone, they say i was going 45 in a 20 mph zone. They told me to follow them to the station and told me i had to pay $150 and was given a court date. Why did i have to pay $150 bond? I thought that was only for criminal things? is this criminal and i just dont know and will iget my 150 back? thanx

The minimum fine for school zone is $150. And it's a required appearance (you can't just sign the ticket and send in the money). The judge could increase the fine. You cannot get supervision. They treat school zone speeding seriously.

You posted a bond. The money will go to attorney fees or court fines.

Because the minimum fine is $150.00.

The offense is not supervision eligible and conviction will result in suspension of your DL. You need a lawyer. The bond was required because of the minimum fine of $150.00. From the $150 you posted, 10% automatically goes to the clerk of the court. The remaining $135.00 can be applied to your fines and costs or assigned to an attorney as all or part of his/her fee, at your option (assuming this is a Cook County case). You should talk to an experienced criminal defense/traffic attorney. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net