I got pulled over for driving on a revoked license, 1st offense, financial responsibility at time of accident, what am i facing?

Asked about 2 years ago - Murfreesboro, TN

i lost my license in 2007, got pulled over a few weeks ago, got wrote a ticket for driving on a revoked.. not DUI related. what am i facing in court if i do not have my license back by my court date?? and is this a felony charge??

1. Shane Kelvin McNeill

Pro

Answered . You may already know this but go to http://www.tn.gov/safety/FRFAQS/frquestion1.shtml to obtain information on how to get your license back.

From what you write, it looks like you are charged with a Class B misdemeanor. See statutes below.

As for what the court will do, it just depends. Many times, if you have your license back, you 'may' be able to get the charge dropped. Without your license back, you may face prosecution as described below.

From TCA § 40-35-111, "Class B misdemeanor, not greater than six (6) months or a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500), or both, unless otherwise provided by statute"

TCA § 55-50-504. Driving while privilege cancelled, suspended or revoked; forfeiture of vehicle

(a)(1) A person who drives a motor vehicle within the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained that is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel, or the premises of any shopping center, manufactured housing complex or apartment house complex or any other premises frequented by the public at large at a time when the person's privilege to do so is cancelled, suspended, or revoked commits a Class B misdemeanor. A person who drives a motor vehicle within the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained that is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel, or the premises of any shopping center, manufactured housing complex or apartment house complex or any other premises frequented by the public at large at a time when the person's privilege to do so is cancelled, suspended or revoked because of a conviction for vehicular assault under § 39-13-106, vehicular homicide under § 39-13-213, or driving while intoxicated under § 55-10-401 shall be punished by confinement for not less than two (2) days nor more than six (6) months, and there may be imposed, in addition, a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000). Convictions occurring more than ten (10) years prior to the immediate violation shall not be considered for enhancement purposes under this subdivision (a)(1); provided, however, that the department shall abide by all federal rules and regulations relative to the issuance, suspension, and revocation of driver licenses and qualification of drivers.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and the communication may not be confidential.