I got pulled over for doing 65 in a 45. Should I plead guilty or not guilty?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hoosick Falls, NY

Night time, had not seen a speed limit sign after turning onto the road. Not from NY. First time driving through location and in NY

Fully Loaded pickup truck going uphill

1. Matthew Jay Weiss

5

1

Answered . You should fight this ticket because it will carry 4 points and can hurt your auto insurance rates. How you fight it depends in which court your case is pending. The easiest thing is to just consult with a NY traffic lawyer about your ticket. We don't charge for a consultation.

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

5

Answered . I say no never plead guilty as charged because when you retain a firm like mine we go to court for you and save you money by getting a plea to a non-moving violation that prevents an insurance increase.

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Not seeing the sign isn't normally a defense unless for some reason you were not able to see the sign.

That said, I always advise people charged with speeding this fast to plead not guilty at first. You may be able to negotiate something that will be less harmful to your license and insurance.

Local counsel can make a good result more likely. Otherwise you will have to arrange to put your case before the court and may be required to appear in person.