I got pulled over and searched illegally. What actions should I take upon these officers?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chatham, IL

I got pulled over and was asked for my dl and insurance, but as I was giving it to him the other police officer open up my passenger door for no apperant reason saying he couldn't see in my car.(1st violation). Then he asked me to get out my car and go to the back of the car. they searched me and then ask to search my car, I said "no". He searched anyway and found sum illegal stuff. I went to jail and got my car tooken. What can I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The answer to your question is simple: Hire a lawyer. You have decided the search was illegal but you have not furnished enough information for any lawyer here to agree or disagree with you concerning whether the search was illegal. You should discuss the details of this stop with your lawyer - in private. Do not mention any more details in this or any other public forum.

  2. Raymond George Wigell


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The first priority is to address the current charges. Whether a motion to quash the arrest or to suppress or a combination motion should be researched and filed is a decision that you and your lawyer should focus on.

    Consult and retain an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP.

    Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should... more
  3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . All the answers you got and comments you made point to one thing--you need criminal defense attorney immediately.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now