Skip to main content

I got pulled over and he said I was going 83 in a 45 and gave me a ticket for speeding and careless driving. What do I do?

Hightstown, NJ |

I'm also 17 years old and my court date is two days after my birthday.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I agree with my colleague. Get a lawyer. It will be well worth it in the long run. Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

  2. You need to consult with an attorney regarding New Jersey speeding statutes. In Illinois, speeding in excess of 30 miles per hour a Class B Misdemeanor with a penalty of up to six months in jail and a fine of $1,500, but you would be eligible for a finding of court supervision, which is not a conviction and does not impact your insurance rates. Given the high rate of speed, you may not be facing a simple petty offense.

  3. This is a 5 point ticket and may end with a suspension. Get an experienced criminal defesne attorney.

  4. Either apply for the public defender or retain the services of a private attorney to represent you in this legal matter. You are facing many points and the possibility of a suspended license. Do this before your next scheduled court appearance.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics