I got pulled over and charged with a DUI. My bac level was 0.22.

In saying that I believe it was more due to exhaustion and lack of sleep in the days prior that led to those levels. I'm currently out of college with low income earnings so I'm worried about the costs of hiring an attorney. I was also wondering f the court in Los Angeles plows for a payment plan or community service in exchange for the price of the fines.

Also, this is my first DUI and I have no previous criminial convictions.

Your blood alcohol level is not going to be impacted by lack of sleep. Your ability to safely drive might be. Getting a DUI is not cheap. The biggest consequence, typically, of a first time DUI is the money it costs you and the fear of jail. Yes, you can pay fines in an installment plan and some attorneys will work with you on a payment plan. But attorneys do cost money. You would be well advised to have one, since a .22 is not something to take lightly. Many of us offer a free consult including my firm.

Brian Michaels

Attorney Michaels is 100% correct. Review his answer and follow his advice.

Many attorneys do offer services on a payment plan. Just call a few and test the waters.

Second, court fines and fees also can be satisfied on a payment plan. You may want to consider community service instead, although it will be many many hours.

Many attorneys do offer a payment plan and although many will charge for representation, many attorneys will provide a free consultation, which everyone can afford. There are many reasons the BAC may be exaggerated so you should meet with an attorney or two for a free evaluation and to review the possible consequences in your matter.

Michael K. Cernyar, Esq.
"Sometimes Good People Find Themselves in Bad Situations"

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Your alcohol level record it is hi that would get you additional punishment
so you should speak with a qualified DUI attorney in your area a good
attorney may be able to reduce the penalties or even have the charges
dismissed. You did not give much fax other than the alcohol level so it's
impossible to know if you have a defense most attorneys give a no cost
consultation

As far as I know you can no longer do a payment plan for the fines and fees out of LA COUNTY. They will give you plenty of time to pay or you can do community service in lieu of part of your fines and fees. You still have to pay something when doing community service but it isn't much compared to the fine which is around $2,000.

.22 is a high BAC which could get you an enhanced sentence so do not skimp; hire a private attorney to go to bat for you. There are plenty of attorneys who will work out a payment plan with you so call around and see who you're comfortable with. The courts can work with you in terms of payments too.

California attorney Sarkis Jacob Babachanian handles criminal defense, personal injury, civil litigation and bankruptcy (ch. 7) matters in the greater Los Angeles area. To discuss possible representation, feel free to phone Mr. Babachanian at 818-500-0678 or email him at sjb@babachanian.com. The information provided is as a public courtesy only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Only a formal written agreement establishes an attorney-client relationship. In criminal cases, speak with nobody except privately with an attorney about your case facts. In personal injury cases, all cases are governed by statutes of limitation which create deadlines to bring your case, and if you miss the deadline(s) you risk forever losing your rights.

You should contact some attorneys ASAP!! Many of us that concentrate on DUI cases offer payment plans for legal fees. An attorney may not be as out of reach as you think.

There are so many variables and possibilities relating to your case. Every case is defensible! Almost all of us will give you a free consultation. Start calling ASAP as there are some important deadlines that are fast approaching.

Troy Slaten, Esq. DUI Trial Lawyer 310-824-8896

Hiring counsel is a must for anyone facing DUI charges. If I was broke and there was no way to get around a conviction, I might refuse probation in LA and sit in jail for a short time instead of paying $2k+ in fines and fees and classes and being exposed to a probation violation for three years.

Michael Stewart Phillips

Michael Stewart Phillips

Or 49 hours community service to get rid of roughly 75% of the fines/fees

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI