I got Non-Suit for Warrant in Debt.What is the Diff of Dismissed w/o Prej vs Non-suit in VA?VA 8.01-229(E)(1)"remaining period"?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chesapeake, VA

I went to court with my Grounds of Defense against the Plaintiff’s BOP. The lawyer brought a “witness”. But I objected and the judge did allow the witness to speak and asked them several questions.In the end the judge non-suited the Plaintiff. I may have missed something but at first I thought it was dismissed. I asked the judge about my original SOL (expires on Jan/Feb 2013) he said the plaintiff can re-file and make sure I mention that it was non-suited but he did mention about a new lawyer. What is the difference between dismissed and non-suit because I didn’t hear the lawyer voluntarily non-suited in VA Code § 8.01-229(E)(3) It said something about “voluntary non-suit” and they can refile w/in 6 mos.If the judge Dismissed w/o Prej will it also toll SOL? VA 8.01-229(E)(1)?Pls explain.TY

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Sounds like plaintiff non-suited--you may have missed the attorney's request. The Plaintiff's attorney must've determined that he/she was about to lose the case or needed something else in his/her case that could not be presented during that hearing. A plaintiff may request a non-suit one time, and the court at its discretion, may or may not grant the request--but for first time requests the court almost always grants it. Plaintiff has six months to refile against you. If the SOL would have expired during that 6 month window, the date during which the action may still legally be brought will be push to the longer of the SOL or the six month window.