I got my second dui and the court offered me the dui court program is it possible for me to get a restricted license?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orange, CA

I really need a restricted license I dont work close to home and it will be almost impossible for me to do everything the program requires.

1. Darrell Jon York

5

Answered . Yes. A new law was enacted in July 2010 which allows a 2nd and 3rd time offender to obtain a license after serving a 90 day suspension. They must enroll in a DUI class and install an ignition interlock device. Prior to this law, the suspension period was 1 year court suspension for a 2nd. However, under the new law, you must serve the 90 day suspension before you are eligible for your license.

2. Robert Laurens Driessen

2

Answered . Yes it is possible to get a restricted license from the DMV once you have served your 90 day suspension, enroll in the 18 month DUI class, install the IID, and pay the $125 license reissue fee you will be eligible for a restricted license.
    Robert Driessen
    www.TheOCduiGUY.com

3. Robert Louis Miller

Pro

Answered . Thanks for your posting.

The answer to your question is that whether or not you get a restricted license, unfortunately for you, has nothing to do with DUI court. It's entirely up to the DMV. Assuming you are not a commercial driver, or under age 21, the DMV may suspend you for 18 months, and then convert the last 6 of the 18 months to a restricted license, if you submit an SR-22, and attend a multiple offender program and pay a reissuance fee, although that leaves the first 12 months up front as a hard suspension.

I hope that this helps, but please feel free to ask if you have any further questions. It's my pleasure to help in any way that I can. All the best to you.