I got my permanent green-card recently. I want to leave USA and come back to my country, if I fill re-entry form, will it let me

Dallas, TX |

I got my permanent green-card recently. I want to leave USA and come back to my country, if I fill re-entry form, will it let me to not coming back to USA for next 10 years? or will I loose my green-card if I stay more than one year outside of USA?

1. A re-entry permit only offers protection for a two year period outside of the U.S. It also has certain limitations in terms of preservation of residence for naturalization purposes and how many time one can receive a re-entry permit. If you are planning an extended stay abroad, it is best to consult an experienced Immigration attorney to explain the consequences before leaving. There is also a legal guide to this issue in Avvo, which would be useful for you to read.

This response is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 214-887-8507 to schedule a consultation.

2. Re-entry permits are only good for 2 years. Staying out of the US for 10 years results in the loss of permanent residence.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.