Skip to main content

I got my Green card via marriage, now divorced will i be eligible for Naturalization?

Eugene, OR |
Filed under: Divorce Immigration

I was married for 6.5 years and have a wonderful child. The divorce happened almost 5 years ago and since then i have left the country twice once for 10 months. i have not committed any crime other than 1 speeding ticket and 2 parking tickets (i didnt feed the meter on time) what are my chances? Should i even attempt applying for naturalization?
I have seen in some posts that it is not necessary to include speeding ticket as a crime committed is this true?
I will appreciate any response....

Attorney Answers 3



NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Then 10 month absence may become an issue. You need to consult with competent counsel before you prematurely file.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees



Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics