I got my first DUI last night in weld county. what to expect in the court? should I hire a lawyer? Am I going to jail?

Greeley, CO |

I do not know what to do? Are they going to never give me a driver license? Please help I am scared

My BAC was .154 there is no accident involved thank for reading

1. First off, relax. Call my friend Ryan Kamada tomorrow. You can find his profile here on Avvo. He'll walk you through all of this.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

2. Yes, you need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area this week. Unless you had a high BAC - OVER .20 - or there was an accident involved you "likely" are not looking at jail. And yes, you will get your DL back again. You have good reason to be scared. However, I can tell you as a former judge and former prosecutor, you simply made a mistake. It is not like a kidnapping, murder, rape, or assault, where you intentionally went out to hurt someone. We ALL have made mistakes in our lives. Talk wit a few attorneys that you find here on Avvo and find one that is experienced and a good fit. That will take a WHOLE load of stress and strain off your shoulders. Good luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

3. You should talk to a lawyer. DUI cases can drastically affect your life. Make better decisions by consulting with an experienced dui defense lawyer.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C.

4. I agree with my colleagues. Given the licensing issues, you will want to talk to an attorney as soon as possible before your license becomes automatically revoked. In addition, you will want to apply for reinstatement quickly. Finally, DUIs have many legal and factual issues. They are seldom open and shut cases, especially with the issues being raised regarding the Intoxilyzers. I typically recommend talking to a few attorneys so that you can find one you are comfortable with.

My answers are for informational purposes only. They are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more information, call me at (303) 578-0595. You can also visit me online at: jamesmilitarydefense.com or jamesdefense.com

5. If you're scared, freaking out because you were just arrested for a new DUI offense, why not take one of these Colorado lawyers up on their offer for a free consultation?

Make sure they handle only DUI though.