I got my first DUI last night in weld county. what to expect in the court? should I hire a lawyer? Am I going to jail?

Greeley, CO |
Filed under: First DUI

I do not know what to do? Are they going to never give me a driver license? Please help I am scared

My BAC was .154 there is no accident involved thank for reading

First off, relax. Call my friend Ryan Kamada tomorrow. You can find his profile here on Avvo. He'll walk you through all of this.

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

Yes, you need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area this week. Unless you had a high BAC - OVER .20 - or there was an accident involved you "likely" are not looking at jail. And yes, you will get your DL back again. You have good reason to be scared. However, I can tell you as a former judge and former prosecutor, you simply made a mistake. It is not like a kidnapping, murder, rape, or assault, where you intentionally went out to hurt someone. We ALL have made mistakes in our lives. Talk wit a few attorneys that you find here on Avvo and find one that is experienced and a good fit. That will take a WHOLE load of stress and strain off your shoulders. Good luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Philip Rosmarin

Philip Rosmarin

You can take a great deal of comfort from what Mr. Leroi has said. He really has been a major league player at all the legal positions in the courtroom, and won universal respect in every one of them.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

Excellent response from Christopher Leroi. His advice is always spot on.

Nathan Peter Hansen

Nathan Peter Hansen

Mr. Leroi is again spot on. The only caveat in this scenario is Weld County. Weld can sometimes look for some jail time on BACs even below a .200. Speak with a couple attorneys. It may be worth hiring an attorney just to take the stress off your shoulders. You will get a license back. The length of interlock will be determined by your BAC. Because it is over a .150, you may need to have interlock for a significant period of time. If this was a blood test, you would be smart to retest the second sample to see if it falls below .150.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

This is Mr. Hansen's geographical area and I would definitely defer to his knowledge of the judges up there.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

If you are ineligible for a public defender, you can use the Find A Lawyer search tool on this website to locate a reputable attorney near you. You can also contact the State Bar for a referral.

You should talk to a lawyer. DUI cases can drastically affect your life. Make better decisions by consulting with an experienced dui defense lawyer.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C.

Kelly C. Cherry

Kelly C. Cherry

I agree

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I agree. And both of my colleagues are excellent attorneys to be contacted by you.

I agree with my colleagues. Given the licensing issues, you will want to talk to an attorney as soon as possible before your license becomes automatically revoked. In addition, you will want to apply for reinstatement quickly. Finally, DUIs have many legal and factual issues. They are seldom open and shut cases, especially with the issues being raised regarding the Intoxilyzers. I typically recommend talking to a few attorneys so that you can find one you are comfortable with.

My answers are for informational purposes only. They are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more information, call me at (303) 578-0595. You can also visit me online at: jamesmilitarydefense.com or jamesdefense.com

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I agree

If you're scared, freaking out because you were just arrested for a new DUI offense, why not take one of these Colorado lawyers up on their offer for a free consultation?

Make sure they handle only DUI though.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I agree

DUI topics