Skip to main content

I got my DUI court conviction in CA 2 weeks ago, the D.M.V still says it hasn't hit my record. How long does this take to do?

Los Angeles, CA |

Can I get a ID device ( Breathalyzer in car ) installed and my new driving license even if it hasn't hit my record according to the D . M . V ? I have the court document saying I was convicted but the D . M . V says it hasn't hit my record yet still . What can I do about this ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It'll get there don't worry. If not, then it is probably a paperwork glitch. You should contact your nearest Driver's Safety Office.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


You can also try calling the Mandatory Actions Unit at (916) 657-6525.


You should be aware that the DMV has separate administrative proceedings regarding your license. Your license may have already been suspended.

George B. O'Neill

George B. O'Neill


And if your license is not already suspended, when DMV Sacramento gets the record of conviction they will send you a letter informing you that you are suspended retroactive to the date of the conviction. You could be driving and not even know you were suspended. Good luck... that is a very unfortunate situation that the State puts drivers into. If the Judge suspended you at the time of conviction then at least you would know about it.


First of all, if the DUI was in LA, then it is one of four counties where IIDs are required even if it is a first offense DUI for 5 months if convicted of a DUI (VC 23152). If you had an experienced DUI attorney, he or she would have advised the outcome of the DMV admin hearing and if DMV determined that your license should be suspended. If your case was a first time DUI offense in LA, then you could have obtained a restricted CDL prior to any DUI conviction. After conviction for a first DUI and you have served a 30 day hard suspension, as long as you enrolled in a first offense DUI class, obtained a SR-22, obtained proof that you installed a IID, and paid the reinstatement fees to obtain a CDL, then you can get driving privileges to drive pursuant to conditions of your probation. If the court has not sent DMV an abstract of the conviction and terms thereof, that can create a problem. Most competent IID providers will check with DMV if you are eligible to drive if it is installed. If DMV has not received an abstract relating to the conviction, contact the attorney or public defender who helped you with your case to contact the court to make sure the information was transmitted to DMV. If you did not have an attorney, contact the court if it has been more than 5 days since the conviction to find out if the conviction information was sent to DMV. Good Luck!


This is sort of the classic "playing for the fumble" situation. Naturally, you hope it never shows up. But "never" is a long time and it probably will show up. That said, there's really no reason to prod the process and wake up that otherwise sleeping dog. The time it takes for DMV to receive your court docs may vary among jurisdictions; some are within a couple weeks, some much longer.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer