I got married to my same-sex partner in Canada in 2008 and we have been separated for 4 years now, how do we get a divorce?

We got legally married in ontario canada, and both of us live here in georgia, and are not able to move to canada, or even travel there. we have no assets to split or children to worry about. we just want a divorce.

Powder Springs, GA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (2)

Barry Dean Broome

Barry Dean Broome

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Norcross, GA

Georgia doesn't allow partners of the same sex to marry, nor does it recognize domestic partnerships, civil unions, or reciprocal beneficiaries. Since it is not recognized it can't provide an avenue for a divorce.

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - East Point, GA

Because Georgia refuses to recognize same-sex marriages, this creates a problem. In some cases the answer that may work is to file an annulment here, seeking a declaration that the marriage is void. That leaves you both eligible to marry again. I have run into this situation before and can also suggest, in some cases, other creative but workable ideas (which vary by county and how receptive judges are to the choices). Call me at 404-768-3509.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.