I got married to my same-sex partner in Canada in 2008 and we have been separated for 4 years now, how do we get a divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Powder Springs, GA

We got legally married in ontario canada, and both of us live here in georgia, and are not able to move to canada, or even travel there. we have no assets to split or children to worry about. we just want a divorce.

1. Barry Dean Broome

Answered . Georgia doesn't allow partners of the same sex to marry, nor does it recognize domestic partnerships, civil unions, or reciprocal beneficiaries. Since it is not recognized it can't provide an avenue for a divorce.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Because Georgia refuses to recognize same-sex marriages, this creates a problem. In some cases the answer that may work is to file an annulment here, seeking a declaration that the marriage is void. That leaves you both eligible to marry again. I have run into this situation before and can also suggest, in some cases, other creative but workable ideas (which vary by county and how receptive judges are to the choices). Call me at 404-768-3509.