I got married to my same-sex partner in Canada in 2008 and we have been separated for 4 years now, how do we get a divorce?

Asked about 1 year ago - Powder Springs, GA

We got legally married in ontario canada, and both of us live here in georgia, and are not able to move to canada, or even travel there. we have no assets to split or children to worry about. we just want a divorce.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Barry Dean Broome

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Georgia doesn't allow partners of the same sex to marry, nor does it recognize domestic partnerships, civil unions, or reciprocal beneficiaries. Since it is not recognized it can't provide an avenue for a divorce.

  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Because Georgia refuses to recognize same-sex marriages, this creates a problem. In some cases the answer that may work is to file an annulment here, seeking a declaration that the marriage is void. That leaves you both eligible to marry again. I have run into this situation before and can also suggest, in some cases, other creative but workable ideas (which vary by county and how receptive judges are to the choices). Call me at 404-768-3509.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,827 answers this week

2,796 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,827 answers this week

2,796 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary