I got married this past year and my spouse never filed a 1099 from ten years ago, Can IRS keep my tax money this year?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Cleveland, OH

My new spouse did not file a return for a 1099 over ten years ago, we have filed jointly this year, and due to the bad economy he was not employed, the income reported is all mine. Is it legal for the IRS to keep my refund to pay his tax debt that I was totally unaware of???

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . If you signed a joint return the IRS can keep the tax money. This is one reason to file as married filing separately.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net ,
    website is www.sjfpc.com.
    blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/

2. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . It is possible if you filed jointly. You may be able to file an injured spouse claim to protect your portion of the refund. You should see a local tax professional to determine if your facts warrant this.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.