I got married in the Bahamas in 2007 DO I have to file for a divorce or can I just walk away?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

We can not get along. He is verbally abusive and I am very miserable living with him. I do have two children with him, but his name is not on the youngest birth certificate.

Yes, you still need a divorce.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately for real legal advice.

The Bahamas marriage is valid, remember a lot of folks from the US get married in the Caribbean, the marriages if performed properly with a license etc. are all valid. You need to get yourself to an attorney with a copy of marriage certificate. In any event since you have children, you will need child support and custody, so the attorney or legal aid is well advised.

Recommended articles about Divorce