Skip to main content

I got married but i dint change my marital status frm single to married nd got immigration visa.Nw i want to cal my wife.can i?

San Diego, CA |

i got married in august 2012 but i dint register my marriage nor i changed my marital status.And i got immigration.My wife was divorced before marrying to me she also dint change her status as i dint register my marriage legally.Meanwhile she gave interview for f1 and got rejection.Now i want to register my Marriage and change my marital
status.will it be stated as fraud?or is it ok???

Attorney Answers 4


You need to discuss your facts with a practicing immigration attorney. I have seen some prior cases before when people had trouble explaining why they did not disclose their marriage at the time of adjustment. You need a good counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. More information is needed. It is unclear why neither your wife nor you indicated your marital status. You may face difficulty petitioning for your spouse to receive permanent residence. I would encourage you to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


Failure to mention your marriage could definitely be construed as intentional fraud. Seek to meet with an immigration attorney in private.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree


It depends on the country, in some countries, the marriage is not legal until registered, and in others it is legal.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics