Skip to main content

I got marriage with US citizen after my F1 visa expired. Can I apply the marriage Green card?

Englewood, NJ |

If I can do it, how, where should I start and how much it will cost me? Do I need the lawyer?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Best answer

    Yes you should speak with an experienced immigration lawyer. There are many issues that old arise in an adjustment petition that you may not recognize. An attorney will be able to guide you through the process and recognize any difficulties that may not be very apparent. Congratulations on the marriage. Best wishes.

    This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.

  2. Yes. And...YES!!

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:

  3. Yes, probably, but you did not provide enough facts to tell you more definitively. Contact with an experienced immigration attorney for more information.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. Congrats on your wedding...yes your spouse can file for you. Do not attempt to do the process yourself. Hire someone local to do the process for you. One mistake on your part can cause an undue delay in the process. Best of luck!

  5. It depends on whether the attorney charges a flat fee or fee per hour. I worked in four immigration firms before starting my own and approx. $2,500 seems to be standard rate for the entire process in Michigan. It money well invested if you have a good lawyer...good luck!

  6. Yes it appears you may qualify for a Green Card. This is a complicated application and should be done with an attorney. Good luck.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  7. If being able to live and work in the U.S. is important to you, use an immigration lawyer. Permanent Residence is not guaranteed merely because you are now married to a U.S. citizen. I have an office in Englewood Cliffs that may be extremely convenient for you.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

  8. Yes, you most likely can apply for a green card. Yes, you should consult with a lawyer to verify your eligibility and help you with the process. It is much more complicated than just completing a few forms. The filing fee is $1,490. Fees for lawyers vary. Call a few to find one who knows what s/he is doing, is responsive and has a reasonable rate. Do not just hire the cheapest lawyer (or you get what you pay for).

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics