I got laid off on 7th Sep 2013 and came back to India after staying one month as out of status. Can I go back using same visa?

Asked 10 months ago - Ocean, NJ

I got laid off on 7th September 2013 and stayed for a month in US to look for a job . Will it be considered out of status as I got two payrolI after being terminated. I did not got any job and came back to India. Can I go back to US with the same h1b visa for any onsite interview, if it is not revoked? If not, I also have B1 visa for the same company which is valid for 10 years and was approved before my H1b was approved. Can I use this B1 visa to enter US for my onsite interviews. How long can I stay in US on B1 visa?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You are not inadmissible yet if that is what you are asking. You can only use H1 visa when you hve an underlying petition which is approved and a job opportunity available.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

1

Answered . You can always try to be readmitted on your existing H-1B visa, but you will have to "lie through your teeth" to the CBP officer at the airport when he/she will ask you whether you are still employed by the XYZ Co, - very bad idea. You can try to be admitted on your still valid B-1 visa, but if you tell the officer coming for "job interviews", chances are you will not be let in.

3. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the answer of my distinguished colleague. Use the B1 Visa only. Do not take unnecessary risjs that can hurt you. Good luck.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . Talk to the ex-employer. If he can re-employ you, you can use that H1 visa to re-enter, else use the B1.