I got into a minor car accident and want to make sure I have docs to prove damage is paid and taken care of.

I want to ask about a specific clause on a Release and Agreement form template I found online. Clause 4: "By executing this release Releasor give up any claim that he or she may now or hereafter have against any person, firm or corporation other than Releasee and those persons and entities specified in Clause 7." Clause 7: "In executing this release Releasor additionally intends to bind his or her spouse, heirs, legal representatives, assigns, and anyone else claiming under him or her. Releasor has not assigned any claim arising from the accident described in Clause 2 to any other party. This release applies to Releasee's heirs, legal representatives, insurers, and successors, as well as to Releasee. What does Clause 4 mean, does it put me at a disadvantage?How should I reword it?

Houston, TX -

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Centennial, CO

I think you posted this earlier today -- you ought to take the release to an attorney to have them review the language and advise you of the ramifications. It ought not take the attorney more than an hour to resolve your concerns.

Jack C. Helgesen

Jack C. Helgesen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Layton, UT

I agree. You should talk to a lawyer. We can't tell online what you are giving up because we don't know the facts a don't know have the full release.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Don't play lawyer. Retain one to review it.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You really need to have an attorney review the entire release.

Nathanael Prada

Nathanael Prada

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Miami, FL

Take the release to an attorney and explain all of the facts of your case, they can break down the meaning of each clause for you to understand. Best of luck.