Skip to main content

I got into a car accident yesterday and didn't file with the police, or get any information, is there anything i can do now?

Easley, SC |

I was on a main road, and a man in a truck pulled out off of a side road to the right of me, pulling out in front of me. I hit his car. I was on the main road and he was on the side road and when i hit him he was still in the main road, he never made it across to the median. My dad came and pulled me to the side and told me that it would be considered my fault since i technically hit him and that my insurance would go up. The man in the truck had no damage and my dad looked and said i had nothing serious, so we left. Now, I know i was not at fault, I've had the car looked at and the damages are higher than the car value. I also have neck pains and a huge headache. The only info i have is a license plate number. Is it too late to try and find out who this is and file a claim with insurance?

Also, I had originally called the police but then my dad and the man were talking and said it wasn't necessary. So instead of waiting, we left. The car is in my husbands name so now me and my husband are responsible for damages. My husband was at work so he was not their to make a decision or look at the car and when he looked right away he knew there was more damage then the eye could see. My dad isn't very experienced with cars so he thought it was nothing and when my husband saw it and heard how the wreck happened, he told me i would not have been at fault since i was on the main road and i had the right away. The man pulled out in front of me and i of course hit him. I have not been able to sleep at all or think with a straight mind because I know i should have called the police but let my dad talk me out of it. Is there anything I can do now, or is it just too late?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is not too late. Get in touch with the person and obtain his insurance informaton.



Kevin, how can i get in touch with him? All i have is his license plate number.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


Get in touch with your insurance company and ask them for assistance.


If you have his plate number you should be able to get the info but I would suggest going to the ER ASAP for your pain. I would also contact a personal injury attorney ASAP. I am in Lexington but would be happy to discuss it with you.

Tristan Shaffer 803-575-0394



Would it be possible for me to go to the police station and tell them everything ive just stated and give them his plate number? Or would I have to get a lawyer? I've never been in a car accident or anything like that before. I feel bad because we left it off on good terms, but that was not knowing how badly damaged the vehicle actually was.

Tristan M Shaffer

Tristan M Shaffer


You could ask that a report be made but you might be putting yourself in a worse position. It is respectable that you are trying to be fair with the other drive but I seriously doubt that his insurance company will extend you the same courtesy. If you try to handle this on your own the adjuster will likely try to make you believe that you can't recover or lowball you. You are in a much better position if you get a lawyer to handle it.


Report it to your insurance company to resolve.


Firstly, contact your insurance carrier and make them aware of this incident and cooperate with their investigation.

Secondly, contact the police and file a report of the incident.

Thirdly: You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

In the future, it is advisable to call the police to the scene of Any incident and document the situation.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer