Skip to main content

I got into a car accident last week with no license and no insurance in California. What will happen to my license?

Scotts Valley, CA |

I got into an accident on Saturday in Santa Clara County which was my fault I was going under the speed limit on the freeway with traffic flow just past an accident . my brakes gave out and I rear ended a PT Cruiser which Rear ended a BMW . I am an adult and the registered owner of the vehicle , however , I DO NOT HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE OR INSURANCE . I have an instructional permit which allows me to drive while there is a person over 18 in the car with a valid license . I was by myself when I got into the accident . * Will my license will be suspended until I am a certain age ? ? My car sustained the most damage , was not impounded by the police , the cop told me I would get a ticket in the mail . there were no injuries , and the people involved in the accident are not pressing charges .

I'm mostly wondering if my license will be suspended until I pay off a fine, or if it would be manditorily suspended for a certain number of years regardless of fine payment. I was also wondering if maybe appearing in court might help not losing my license. I always drive with a licensed driver but my boyfriend had to work somewhere else at the same time. I was alone coming from work, I need to be able to drive to keep my job. Is there anything I can do to make this better?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You are certainly going to lose the license you do not have for quite some time. Wait for the ticket and go from there. Best of Luck.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub


I've handled these cases in California before and I've been successful in getting a case accepted by insurance companies despite no license.



Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.


You may lose the license; however, you need to wait and see what action the DMV will take. You may be able to keep it under certain exceptions. You should get insurance if you are driving and understand the rules for provisional drivers are there for a reason. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You need a defense attorney and auto insurance.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus


". there were no injuries , and the people involved in the accident are not pressing charges . "


You will likely not be able to obtain a valid driver's license. I would consult with an attorney to see what options you may have to lessen the penalty.


When you drive without insurance, you not only put yourself at risk, but others.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Once the accident is reported to the DMV, your license will be suspended until you pay the damages to the different drivers and or you go bankrupt. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer