I GOT INJURED IN A DEPARTMENT STORE. HOW DO I FILE FOR DAMAGES.

Asked about 3 years ago - Monterey, CA

I WENT TO MY LOCAL DEPARTMENT STORE TODAY TO BUY A WALLET. I TOUCHED THE CASE THAT CONTAINED THE WALLET, AND WHEN I DID MY FINGER WAS SLICED OPEN WITH BLOOD EVERYWHERE. I COMPLAINED TO A SALES ASOCIATE, AND THEY BROUGHT ALCOHOL WIPES AND A BANDAGES. THE MANAGER CAME AND TOOK A REPORT. IT TURNS OUT ALL THE CASES MADE BY THAT MAJOR MANUFACTURER IN THE STORE HAD RAZOR SHARP UNFINNISHED EDGES ON THEIR CASES FOR THE WALLET, AND THEY IMMEDIATELY PULLED THEM FROM THE SHELVES WHILE I WAS STILL THEIR. I FILMED EVERYTHING WITH MY I PHONE AS IT UNFOLDED STARTING WITH MY BLOODY INJURY, I AM OFF TO MY LOCAL MED STOP FOR A TETTANUS SHOT AND MAYBE STITCHES. I AM SUPER UPSET. I WANT TO FILE A LAWSUIT FOR DAMAGES. HOW DO I GET SOMEONE TO TAKE MY CASE?

1. Steven Mark Sweat

1

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds like you may have a negligence claim against the department store. You would need to show that they either knew or should have known that these display cases were dangerous.

2. Steven Ronald Kuhn

Answered . If your injury is small, you may want to consider Small Claims Court where you can get damages up to $7,500. If you have a permanent injury, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. Our firm handles cases all over the state of California. Feel free to contact us for a free consultation.

3. Garrett David May

Answered . I agree, thus far you have done everything right. Additionally, you (or preferably your attorney) need to send an evidence preservation letter to the department store, requesting that they preserve any surveillance video that might exist as well as the piece of glass that injured you. This needs to be done right away.

My law firm handles these types of personal injury cases; feel free to call me for a free, no-risk consultation at (805)594-1101. Good luck.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . So far you have done everything correctly - reported the incident, recording it, sought out medical attention and posted on Avvo. The next step is to contact personal injury lawyer(s). Share the facts and interview the attorney(s). If appropriate, retain the one you are most comfortable with. Most often it is advantagous to retain an attorney. An exception might be if an injury is a bad cut, appropriate precautions are taken and no further consequence is suffered. Even then, most attorneys are willing to give some sound advise (Avvo being a prime example). Good luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now