Skip to main content

I got in an accident and do not have insurance, Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Huntington Beach, CA |

I was driving my dad's car and I hit the car in front of me. Their car was not severely damaged, it has a dent. My car was more messed up. The owners were very mellow and there was no injuries and no police report filed. My dad gave them his insurance information and they gave us their information as well. I am not listed under my dad's insurance yet. The car itself has insurance ,but I do not. What can I expect to happen now? Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Report the incident to your father's insurance company. That should conclude your concerns.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. Your dad’s insurance should handle the claim unless you were an excluded driver on his policy.

    This information is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only.

  3. Unless you are specifically excluded from the policy by NAME, you will be ok. You will be deemed a permissive use driver and your dad's insurance company will cover it..make sure you report the claim to your dad's carrier immediately though..

    Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of the law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for adviceThis response does not constitute or make an attorney-client relationship as it is made for general purposes; answering attorney does not possess enough information to inform recipient of the applicable statute of limitations. You may also contact Mr. Hiden at (619) 296-5884 or by email at ""

  4. The insurance on the car you were driving will be the first insurance to cover the loss. If you were not an 'excluded driver' on the policy then you are likely covered under that policy. Injuries can manifest after the accident so being told at the scene of the incident that no one was injured does not foreclose the subject. Having the insurance company investigate the loss immediately will assist protecting you. So, don't delay reporting the loss.

    As stated above, this is an incomplete answer but an attempt to provide a cursory overview of a subject that attorneys 'practice' and improve upon during the entirety of their legal careers. This response is not meant as legal advice or as a legal opinion. Such advice would be impossible or impractical without additional information and more facts giving rise to the question. A consultation with an attorney is necessary.

  5. You do not need to hire a lawyer based on the information provided. Your dad's liability insurance covers the car and follows the car while you are driving unless the policy specifically excludes you as a driver. Let your dad's insurance take care of the claim. If you are informed that there is no coverage and the other driver is pursuing a claim against you personally, you can think about a lawyer.

    Good luck.

  6. Probably NOT. Dad's insurance should take care of it for now, unless policy specifically excludes YOU.

    BEST ANSWER I got.... and I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL!! Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help, contact Mr. Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

  7. it is likely if you live in the same household as your dad you will be excluded from coverage and you will need to make arrangements to resolve the other parties damages. Having a lawyer assist is a good idea.

  8. This situation frequently occurs with children of insured drivers. I do not believe that there will be personal liability for either you or your father must there was a reason for you not to be driving.

    David B. Snyder, Esq.
    6876 Buckley Road
    Syracuse, NY 13212
    Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York where he practices personal injury work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.

  9. Report it to your dad's insurance company to resolve.

  10. No. That's what insurances are for, to defend their insures' cases. I agree with all of the attorneys in this forum. Unless you were specifically excluded, you are considered a permissive user. Permissive users are covered by the insurance. Goodluck and drive safe!

    *Disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter. You may contact me directly at (415) 362-6765 ext.120; website: (Attorney for Law Offices of William E. Weiss)

  11. Your father's insurance will handle any claims made.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics