I got in a car accident but my insurance company said I cannot sue the other party only they can sue. Is that true?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

1. 29

Answered . If you were NOT at fault and were hurt your insurance company is wrong-please consult an injury lawyer.

2. 29

Answered . That is not true. If you incurred personal injury or other loss due to this accident, you can always bring a claim against the other driver. However, if you are talking about property damage, which was paid by your company, then they would sue for the property damages only and try to get your deductible back. If injured, also, you can apply for PIP benefits under your own policy to pay your medical bills and lost wages, if you compy with the PIP statute. If injured, seek out an attorney to represent you.

3. 28

Answered . Don't know why they would tell you such a thing. Whether you have a legal claim that will go anywhere depends on the circumstances. Consult a local attorney about your circumstances to evaluate your options.

4. 23

Answered . Need more facts. You can only sue if YOUR ARE NOT AT FAULT. If you are at fault (100%) then, you will not be able to recover anything. Call some local personal injury attorneys and never take the word of an insurance carrier as being "correct."

5. 24

Answered . YOu need to talk to a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You can sue if you were injured and you were not at fault. Insurance companies sometimes inherit your legal rights if they have paid you for damages - its called subrogation - and they can sue another person on your behalf. YOu need to talk to a lawyer right away.

6. 22

Answered . That's absolutely false. If you were injured, consult an Avvo attorney in Jacksonville to assist you with your claim.

7. 21

Answered . It's a legal decision, not one for the insurance company to make. See an attorney for an independent evaluation of any claims you may have,

8. 20

Answered . Never listen to an insurance company. Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.

9. 18

Answered . If you have been injured:You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  10. 18

Answered . Absolutely not. Find an attorney you like and get a free consultation about the merits of your case.

11. 18

Answered . It sound like your insurance company is claiming you were at fault for the accident. It is not true that you cannot sue another party in an automobile accident. However, if the accident was your fault, there are Rules in Florida which you will need to consider, which impose sanctions for losing a lawsuit. These include awards for attorneys fees and costs to the opposing party.

12. 18

Answered . Did they tell you why? Unless the accident was your fault or your injuries are not severe enough, this does not make sense.

13. 18

Answered . As that appears to be completely wrong, you need to get a local area personal injury attorney to assist you throughout this claim. As some of my colleagues have pointed out, it sounds like you may have received some property damage to your vehicle that was handled by your insurance carrier. If so, they would want their money back for fixing your car and the process for them to do so is called subrogation. If you were injured, you should be able to collect from the other party that was liable for the accident. If you want to retain your rights to do so, hire a personal injury attorney. Best of luck.

14. 17

Answered . That is against the norm.

15. 14

Answered . I agree with Mr. Thompson and Mr. Lassen. Why would you take advice from an insurance company? You need to get legal advice. Contact a personal injury lawyer. Good Luck!

16. 9

Answered . That is false. You do not need your insurance company to file suit for you and they do not get to decide whether a suit gets filed or not. However, you should seek a local attorney who can speak with you to obtain the information needed to determine whether a lawsuit needs to be filed or if there are other means to obtain the same result you are seeking. Attorney's work on a contingency fee, and generally offer a free consutlation. I suggest you contact someone as soon as possible to avoid any unneccesary delays in this matter.