I got in a car accedent last night and both of us dont have insurnce im at folt i was just wondering what the next step

Asked almost 2 years ago - Eau Claire, WI

what cant i expect she went to the hospital n they found nothing wrong with her. her car is worth about 3000

1. Farid Yaghoubtil

8

Answered . If you were at fault you are technically liable for her damages, including her car and ER visit (even if nothing was wrong with her).

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.
  2. George Costas Andriotis

7

Answered . You need to consult a lawyer for advice because there's a strong likelihood you will be asked to pay her damages and if you truly are at fault the fact that you don't have insurance is more significant than the fact she doesn't.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Jay K. Nixon

5

Answered . When a Wisconsin driver without insurance is in a significant accident, either party can file a request for the state DMV to assess damages against the party at fault (see http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/tr...). If the at fault driver does not pay a damage deposit to cover these amounts, the state can suspend is driver's license and vehicle registrations. As long as the driver was not drunk, however, he or she can avoid loss of license via a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, provided that he is eligible. You should therefore immediately schedule an appointment with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. My answer here does not make me your lawyer, so you need to consult one of your own before acting upon this. For further discussions, you may contact my office at 333 Main St, Racine, WI 53403, 262-633-3090, during business hours, or see me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com. See over 15 years of my previous answers to consumer questions at http://www.lawguru.com/answers/atty_profile/vie.... Attorney answers may contain advertising materials.

4. Kevin Coluccio

6

Answered . I am sure that lawyers in your community provide for free consultations. I would reach out to an attorney in your community. You want to make sure that you have the names of all independent witnesses.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . Seek the help of a local lawyer. You technically can be held financially responsible..

6. Michael C. Witt

Pro

2

Answered . Stop admitting liability, and follow the link Attorney Nixon posted to read about WI Safety Responsibility Law. Unless you were very close to the tipping point financially before this crash, it is not clear to me that being required to pay for damage to an inexpensive car, plus the cost of an ambulance ride and an ER bill will be enough to tip you into bankruptcy. I'd suggest waiting for correspondence from the DOT, or a demand letter from the other party, and then immediately consult an attorney about your options, which besides bankruptcy might also include contesting the amount owed at a safety responsibility hearing, and/or negotiating a DOT approved payment plan.

Driving without insurance in WI is illegal, so even if you weren't cited, you need to take care of that as well.

Pro

3

Answered . I don't understand why so many people drive without insurance. You will likely get a letter from the other driver's lawyer demanding payment. Retain a local lawyer to defend and negotiate a settlement so your license doesn't get suspended.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com