I got hit from behing while stopped at a red light. I need information on how to sue.

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

Driver is driving his co-workers car. Neither are named on owner's insurance policy. Registered owner is girlfriend of co-worker. Her insurance denied coverage for the driver. I have a lawyer and my uninsured motorist coverage for my vehicle is covering medical, does not cover property damage. Damage to my car is 3300. It is my girlfriends car, we both have insurance on the same policy. What do I need to do to sue them (what steps do I take)? Who is more likely to be responsible (owner or driver)? Does my girlfriend need to be involved in this? Do I need to name all 3 of them, or just the driver and the owner?

1. Daniel Joseph Podolsky

24

Answered . Your first step should be to speak with your attorney immediately. Your attorney is in the best position to advise you on how to proceed with your claim. If you still have doubts or concerns after speaking with your attorney, you may wish to have a consultation with another attorney.

Good luck!

2. Randy William Ferguson

22

Answered . You have a lawyer. They are suppose to know how to do a lawsuit. If they don't , you may want to change lawyers. These are basic lawyer issues. They should be telling you how it is done, not asking you how to do it. Sue everyone involved.

3. Agavni Gina Hogtanian

20

Answered . Since you have already retained an attorney, you should direct all of these questions to him/her. Your attorney may pursue all possible remedies through the insurance claims process and make the appropriate recommendations to you on whether or when to file a lawsuit and against whom. The answer depends on many facts and circumstances which are best left to a confidential consultation with your attorney, rather than a discussion on a public forum such as this one.

4. Michael Charles Doland

19

Answered . Your lawyer should be answering your questions. If unable or unwilling to do so, you need a new lawyer. Not using a lawyer does not, in my experience, save money or time.

5. Kevin Coluccio

20

Answered . You need to talk with your lawyer. Set up a meeting to discuss the issues that you have set forth and any others that cause you concerns.

6. David J. McCormick

20

Answered . Talk to your attorney, not us. You hired an attorney so ask them. Don’t go behind their backs and try second guessing them here.

7. Cory Russell Weck

15

Answered . Your claim is against the driver and the registered owner. Since you are represented by an attorney they should know who to name in any lawsuit that you file. However, if the third party carrier is denying coverage for the incident you are going to have a hard time collecting against the driver or owner personally unless they have significant assets. Good luck.

8. Edward R. Yaghoubi

Pro

14

Answered . Since your girl friend is the registered owner, it is her property damage claim, and not yours. therefore, it is her who needs to file the action.

Because the property damage was only $3,300, she can file it through the small claims department. I would name all three as defendants and let the judge rule on liability as among the three individuals.

You can find all the forms on the court's website, including instructions. http://www.courts.ca.gov

good luck.

9. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

14

Answered . This is a question which your lawyer will probably be willing to answer for you. I am sure he does not want you doing things independent of his office which may somehow jeopardize your pending claims. Speak with your attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Pro

14

Answered . You have a lawyer, and we can't undermine that attorney. Switch lawyers if the lawyer is not doing his job.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  11. Michael Lynn Walker

Pro

14

Answered . This is a conversation your current attorney can provide the best insite too. They know all pertinent information relating to your case.

12. Loc Hoang Pham

10

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney to explore all your legal options and to fully protect all of your legal rights. Good luck

13. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

10

Answered . You need to speak with your attorney regarding your concerns.