I got hit by a car while riding my bike on the sidewalk, he was turning into a business. Am I at fault? Can I get a settlement?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Newberg, OR

I got hit by a car I was riding my bike on the sidewalk he was turning into a business. I was rushed to the hospital sprained my knee and fractured my back. I just want to know if I have a case can I get a settlement.

1. Troy Austin Pickard

Answered . I'm an Oregon attorney, and I can tell you that it sounds like the driver of the car is liable for your injuries. You may have *some* comparative fault because of riding on the sidewalk, but we would need to look into that further before being sure.

You can give my firm a call and get a free consultation - our number is (503) 592-0606. I used to work FOR the big insurance companies, so I know how they run their side of things.

If you have a good case and the driver has insurance, the insurance company will likely want to settle the case with you out of court. You'll probably get a much bigger settlement if you've got an attorney who knows what he's doing!

2. J Christopher Minor

Answered . You have a claim, and should see an attorney with experience in this area of the law. However, since in general it is unlawful to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, you have some fault as well. The relative fault of each party determines what you might recover, or whether you may recover at all.

Pro

1

Answered . With a good personal injury lawyer, you can probably get a settlement.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.