Skip to main content

I got fired for retail theft. I signed promissory note to pay a certain amount. But palmer &associates are asking for more.

Austin, TX |

I also signed a civil demand notice saying I understand palmer, reifler &associates will be contacting me about a civil damage fee.
I didn't sign anything saying id pay the civil fee.
the promissory note I signed said for the damages I caused and that if I don't pay by the date mentioned I would have to pay other fees.

So the date mentioned is around the corner , but palmer, reifler &associates have already contacted me demanding that I pay this civil fee.
Can I just pay the original damages I caused prior to the due date I agreed and signed to and call it done?
Im super confused why they're demanding 5 times the amount I agreed to before the original amount is even due. I am in Texas. Please advice on what to do.
Thank you so much for your time in advance.

Edited to add: I did sign a 'confession' or whatever itscalled. Would that increase my chances of actually being sued if they decide to? (The theft amount was under $90.)

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    Mr. Gold is correct. I routinely advise clients, especially before the conclusion of their criminal theft charge, to avoid/ignore these letters. That or I write a letter explaining that no payment will be forthcoming. Your case is a little different since you were employed there and signed a confession. That said, a Florida law firm is not very likely to file an expensive lawsuit over a $90 theft, especially if they retrieved the alleged stolen merchandise/money. The exorbitant amount is usually "justified" by restocking fees and loss prevention costs.

    You might want to consider talking with an attorney about the specifics of your case. Good luck

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing

  2. I would suggest that you ignore the civil demand. It is highly unlikely that they will pursue anything based on the dollar amount at issue. If you are still concerned, consult with local counsel.

    When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Shoplifting topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics