I got fired for retail theft. I signed promissory note to pay a certain amount. But palmer &associates are asking for more.

Asked about 2 years ago - Austin, TX

I also signed a civil demand notice saying I understand palmer, reifler &associates will be contacting me about a civil damage fee.
I didn't sign anything saying id pay the civil fee.
the promissory note I signed said for the damages I caused and that if I don't pay by the date mentioned I would have to pay other fees.

So the date mentioned is around the corner , but palmer, reifler &associates have already contacted me demanding that I pay this civil fee.
Can I just pay the original damages I caused prior to the due date I agreed and signed to and call it done?
Im super confused why they're demanding 5 times the amount I agreed to before the original amount is even due. I am in Texas. Please advice on what to do.
Thank you so much for your time in advance.

Edited to add:
I did sign a 'confession' or whatever itscalled. Would that increase my chances of actually being sued if they decide to? (The theft amount was under $90.)

1. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Best Answer

Answered . Mr. Gold is correct. I routinely advise clients, especially before the conclusion of their criminal theft charge, to avoid/ignore these letters. That or I write a letter explaining that no payment will be forthcoming. Your case is a little different since you were employed there and signed a confession. That said, a Florida law firm is not very likely to file an expensive lawsuit over a $90 theft, especially if they retrieved the alleged stolen merchandise/money. The exorbitant amount is usually "justified" by restocking fees and loss prevention costs.

You might want to consider talking with an attorney about the specifics of your case. Good luck

2. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

1

1

Answered . I would suggest that you ignore the civil demand. It is highly unlikely that they will pursue anything based on the dollar amount at issue. If you are still concerned, consult with local counsel.