I got divorced and have three kids. The father is a drunk. Can I revoke his visitation rights?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Eau Claire, WI

My ex tried to kill himself by OD on alcohol last christmas, and was placed in behavior health. He did that in front of the kids. Now I have full custody but he has visitations. His mother called me and said that the last few visits, he was hung over. And now with chrsitmas, and his depression, and alcohol addiction, she feels that she will have to place him back in mental health. Can I file to revoke his visitations? How?

This last weekend he was supposed to have visitation, but he canceled at the last minute and was self admitted to behavior health, to detox. On monday, he was released. He has no councelling to attend, no effects to deal with because of this. Now, he wants to continue with weekend visits. I don't think a life long drunk can "cure" himself over a weekend. Do I have to allow him visits, unsupervised still? He seems to be unable to control his addiction. What do I do if he shows up to pick up the kids, drunk? Or is drinking when I pick them back up?

1. Theodore Perlick Molinari

2

Answered . This is a family law question. I recommend consulting with someone in that field.

2. Drew D. Ledbetter

2

Answered . You need to consult a family lawyer, not a DWI lawyer. Avvo has referrals in this area. Your lawyer will have to file a petition with the court to amend the original custody order.