I got detained for shoplifting at walmart in maryland. I am on probation in Delaware..

Elkton, MD |

I was stopped for shoplifting and brought back to a tiny room police came and took a copy of my drivers licence and left. The security let me go and said I would be getting a letter with charges in the mail. My problem is I am on probation in another state for shoplifting ( unsupervised 1st offence ) should I wait to get the letter with the charges before I call my PO or do it now? Will I do jail time?

You need to consult with an attorney in Delaware about whether to contact the Probation Officer in Delaware. You should also get an attorney here for the shoplifting charge in Maryland. Do not post any details on AVVO since this is a public forum.

Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: sscherr@fslawoffice.com. This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not established with me until a retainer agreement is signed and/or a retainer or fee is paid. If you wish to schedule a consultation, you may contact me at 410-821-2910 or e-mail me at sscherr@fslawoffice.com. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

2. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.